To clarify expectations of coach conduct, we as Buckeye Soccer Association expect all coaches to conform to the following standards. The term “Coach” shall include, but is not limited to: Head Coach, Assistant Coach(es), and/ or Team Representative:
By accepting an assignment to coach a team within the Buckeye Soccer Association, each coach agrees to abide by the expectations as detailed below. Coaching within the Buckeye Soccer Association is a privilege and not a right.
I agree that:
- I will place the emotional and physical well-being of the children I coach ahead of any desire to win.
- At all times, I will be an example of dignity, patience and positive spirit.
- Each player within the Recreation/ Travel league has the opportunity to play all positions and have equal play time.
- I will do everything I can to provide a safe playing environment for my players.
- I will exemplify the principles of good sportsmanship and instill these principles in the players.
- During the game, I am responsible for the sportsmanship of my players. If a player is disrespectful, irresponsible or overly aggressive, I will take that player out of the game to calm them down. I will minimize running up the score in games that we clearly dominate.
- I will do my best to plan practices that are enjoyable and challenging while using age appropriate coaching techniques.
- I will become knowledgeable in the rules of soccer appropriate to the age group that I am coaching and I will teach these rules to my players.
- I will treat each player as an individual, remembering that significant differences in emotional and physical development occur within the same age group.
- I will support a kid-friendly environment by refraining from the use of profanity, abusive language or behavior at games and practices.
- I will respect the coaches and players of the opposing team before, during, and after the game.
- I will encourage my team parents to demonstrate positive support for all players, coaches, and if applicable officials.
- If I have a small issue, I will discuss it with the referee calmly and patiently after the game. If I have a major complaint, or if I think the referee was unfair, biased, unfit or incompetent, I will report this opinion to a Buckeye Soccer Association Director. Officials must have the support of coaches, players, and spectators.
- I will abide by the rules of Buckeye Schools or travel game property while on their premises.
- I will teach each player, through personal example, to be humble and generous in victory and proud and courteous in defeat.
I have read the above Code of Conduct and fully agree to abide by and support it as a volunteer coach for the Buckeye Soccer Association. I understand and agree that the Buckeye Soccer Association may relieve me of my duties as a volunteer coach for violation of the Code of Conduct or for any other reason that my involvement as a volunteer coach is not in the best interest of Buckeye Soccer Association and its players. Concerns about specific Buckeye Soccer Association coaches’ conduct during the seasonal year should be directed to the Directors.